I-495 Express Lanes
The Virginia Department of Transportation partnered with its private partners, Transurban and Fluor, to deliver the largest improvement to the Capital Beltway in a generation.
Delivering new travel options:
- Four new lanes, two in each direction along 14-mile stretch of the Capital Beltway in Virginia
- Carpool/HOV-3 lanes on Beltway and to Tysons Corner
- Congestion-free network for transit buses and carpools
- Seamless HOV connection with I-66, Dulles Toll Road, I-395/I-95
- Toll option for drivers needing predictable travel time
- Fully electronic/dynamic tolling
Delivered on-time and on-budget:
- Built four new lanes on the Capital Beltway
- Replaced more than 50 aging bridges and overpasses
- Tripled soundwall protection for adjacent communities
- Added pedestrian/bike access for all overpasses crossing the Beltway
- Relocated major utilities along entire alignment
- Completed in November 2012
Robust Public Engagement:
- 1,000+ community events, public meetings, employer briefings
- Made more than 225,000 calls via phone campaign
- Sent over 300,000 email updates
- Hand delivered more than 30,000 construction notices
- Continue to distribute updates to email subscribers on a quarterly basis
Supported 31,000 jobs, pumped $3.5 billion into the economy
- On-site construction jobs, transport of supplies/ equipment, non-direct jobs supported by workers spending paychecks in local community. Accounted for as much as 20 percent of total economic growth for Fairfax County in 2009.
Awarded $490 million to small and disadvantaged businesses:
- Largest contribution to DBEs and SWAMs in Virginia’s history for a single transportation project.
Open to traffic in November of 2012.
expresslanes.com – link to Capital Beltway Express, LLC. website. Contains current information on operations.
Project News Links