I-95 Express Lanes Extension (“Fred Ex”)
Fredericksburg Extension of I-95 HOV/HOT lanes project
The Fredericksburg Extension Project (Fred Ex) is a “Concessionaires Enhancement” to the original I-95 Express Lanes Comprehensive Agreement. Transurban is the Concessionaire for the entire I-95 project.
The project extends 95 Express Lanes approximately 10 miles south of Route 610 (Garrisonville Road) in Stafford County to the vicinity of Route 17 (I-95 Exit 133). Construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2019 targeting service commencement in October 2022.
It will have direct connection with both the northbound and southbound Rappahannock River crossing projects and will be analyzing access points and operational improvements with the project.
Ultimately when open to traffic, this project would complete one of the longest Express Lanes system in the U.S., from Washington, D.C., to Fredericksburg and unlock a major point of daily congestion in the region.
The following are key features of the project:
- Ten miles of new two-lane reversible Express Lanes (with full shoulders) from the existing southern terminus at Route 610 to Route 17 North (Exit 143 to Exit 133) and approximately 1.5 miles of an additional reversible Express Lane within the existing 95 Express Lanes south of Garrisonville Road (Route 610)
- New Express Lanes access points, including flyover ramps at the Route 17 terminus and Quantico area and a direct, reversible ramp connection at (Old) Courthouse Road
- Seven new bridge structures:
- Express Lanes mainline across Potomac Creek
- Northbound general purpose (GP) lanes flyover entrance to Express Lanes north of Route 17
- Northbound Express Lanes flyover exit to GP lanes and Russell Road
- Southbound GP lanes flyover entrance to Express Lanes south of Russell Road
- Southbound Express Lanes flyover to GP lanes and Route 17 at Southern Terminus
- American Legion Road overpass (demolish and rebuild existing structure)
- Truslow Road overpass (demolish and rebuild existing structure)
- Interface and direct connection with the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Rappahannock River Crossing – Southbound Project, including a new general-purpose lane exit ramp at Route 17
- All-electronic tolling with same rules as 95 Express Lanes
CTB Presentation: I-95 Express Lanes Fredericksburg Extension – December 4, 2018
Design-Build Procurement (Transurban website)
- RFQ: January 2018
- RFP: March 2018
- Contractor Selection: November 2018
CTB Meeting Video – January 10, 2018
Location and Design Public Hearing (presentation) – September 25, 2017
Project News Links