Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (Unsolicited Proposals)
Virginia’s Office of Transportation Public Private-Partnerships (OTP3), in coordination with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), received an unsolicited conceptual proposal from Hampton Roads Crossings for expansion of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, pursuant to 2010 Virginia Acts chapter 126 and the Public-Private Transportation Act (PPTA).
VDOT’s commissioner formally accepted Hampton Roads Crossings’ unsolicited conceptual proposal on Oct. 28, 2010.
Pursuant to the requirements of 2010 Virginia Acts chapter 126, the OTP3 requested submission of competing conceptual proposals. Prior to the expiration of the competition period, the OTP3 received competing conceptual proposals from Cintra Infraestructuras S.A. and Hampton Roads Mobility Group.
VDOT’s commissioner has not yet accepted either competing conceptual proposal.
On April 20, 2011, VDOT and the OTP3 presented recommendations to the Commonwealth Transportation Board regarding how the procurement should proceed. The presentation, which includes the full text of the recommendations, is available below.
Positive developments related to future transportation improvements in Hampton Roads including significant legislation passed by the 2013 General Assembly and initiatives being developed within the current General Assembly session. The VDOT, in conjunction with the OTP3 and the Hampton Roads TPO, will be assessing multiple opportunities for transportation improvements throughout the Hampton Roads region.
Due to these significant events, VDOT is cancelling the current procurement of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. The Department feels it is in the best interest of the Commonwealth to reassess the current funding and financial opportunities of the region due to the events noted above and work closely with regional leaders to identify the best path forward to advance significant infrastructure development.
Leters to each private sector team are available below in PDF format.
- VDOT Formally Accepts Unsolicited Public-Private Proposal For Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel
- VDOT Receives Competing Public-Private Proposals For Hampton Roads Bridge-
- Hampton Roads-Bridge Tunnel Unsolicited Conceptual PPTA Proposals (669 KB)
- 2010 Va. Acts chapter 126
- Hampton Roads Crossings conceptual proposal (6.2 MB)
- Cintra Infraestructuras S.A. conceptual proposal (1 MB)
- Hampton Roads Mobility Group conceptual proposal (11 MB)
- Hampton Roads Crossing – letter regarding 2014 procurement cancellation (73 KB)
- Cintra Infraestructuras S.A. – letter regarding 2014 procurement cancellation (78 KB)
- Hampton Roads Mobility Group – letter regarding 2014 procurement cancellation (75 KB)